Sunday, July 3, 2011

Welcome To Pattaya Beach

I feel like I am going to be sick. My throat hurts like crazy and I can hardly swallow my food. I am sitting in this restaurant called Apple, which is 30 seconds walk from the guest house that I am staying in. I asked them if they had honey ginger tea but they didn’t I told the waitress about my throat situation and she suggested whiskey, which I ordered because my boss is coming back from his holiday tomorrow and it is going to be a busy day. Moreover, I am moving to an apartment tomorrow, which means that I cannot afford to fall sick. The wireless in my room was not working so I went back to my room to get my laptop in order to check my email and facebook but the wireless at the restaurant was not working either. I needed something else to kill my time, not that I do not have enough work already. I need to pack to move out and I have this reading that I was supposed to do for my work. I am just in no mood for those things. I am tired because I just came back from a weekend long trip from Pattaya, which is the nearest beach to Bangkok. In addition to my whiskey, I ordered a boiled morning glory with garlic and no oil. To my surprise, the waiter understood exactly what I wanted and brought my order, which is shocking given how hard it is to customize and more importantly make the waiters understand what exactly it is that you want here.

As crazy as it may sound, the sickness is worth it. I took a break from my guest house and headed to Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) after work on Friday. One of my friend’s uncle is a professor there. I got to eat delicious food and the egg curry reminded me of home. Then next day, we all woke up early in the morning at 5 and got ready to leave for Pattaya Beach. On our way, we picked up couple relatives who were stopping by on their way to Australia. The trip seemed shorter because we made two stops, one at the airport and the other at KFC for a quick breakfast. The last time I went to a KFC was in Nepal with friends about a year ago. I cannot believe it used to be one of my favorites during high school. I am glad I have graduated from high school in every sense including KFC. The name of the Hotel where we stayed was Tower hotel because it had a big tower in the middle but what was more interesting was the fact that hotel has its own resort, a water park, a private beach and a fun garden with roller coasters and other rides.

As soon as we got into our rooms, I was mesmerized by the window view, which faced the ocean, the water parks and the swimming pool. It had been long since I had gone swimming, which is one of my favorite sports. So I waited for others to get settled and then all of us ladies went for swimming. The cool blue water felt so good against my body I could have slept in the pool but we left within an hour because we had to get lunch and then go to the beach. I faced a dilemma then, I was with my friend’s family relatives. As a decent Asian girl, I could not imagine going to the sea beach in a bikini. I thought of buying a pair of decent looking swimming costume but did not get a chance. So I used a cotton tube instead that I wore on top of my bikini, which worked. Also, the aunt and the relative were wearing swimming costumes as well which made it a little bit easier for me. Once I got inside the sea water though, I found that it was not as clean as we would have liked it to be. Nevertheless, the vastness of the sea attracted me to it anyway and I enjoyed it to the fullest. It was fun to play in it with the two kids of the uncle and aunt’s.

At the end of the day ended, we went to bed planning water rides and banana boat for the next day. Although called banana boat, it was shaped more like a rocket (at least that is what it looked like to me). The next morning, I woke up by a text from the kid who wanted to go for a morning walk along the beach. So I quickly got ready and took along two kids with me to the beach. The water was so clean and undisturbed that I felt peaceful. But then I got hungry soon and we got back to the hotel to get some breakfast. Then we changed for the water park. We rode the highest water slides since it did not have any queues and then we also managed to use the smaller water slides as well. We also played ball in the water and had my favorite cookie cream flavored ice cream afterwards. Then we went back to our rooms, took quick showers and checked out. It was time to get back from Pattaya. On our way back, I decided to head back to BKK because I wanted to get some rest before work the next day and asked the driver to drop me off at the nearest BTS station. My friend’s uncle asked him to take me to a road, near which my guest house was. After a while we came across a BTS station and no matter how hard everyone tried to stop the driver to drop me off there, he did not buzz. I was secretly praying that he would not hear others and just take me to my guest house, as it would have been much harder in the rain to go to my place by myself. To my luck, he drove me all the way to my place.

After I got back to the guest house, I found that there was only a double room that was available and I took it anyway because it was only for one night (since I was moving out the next day). Getting back to my room on my own felt strange after all that family and fun time in Pattaya. It is one of the few times that I have missed having a family near me. I have been living away from my family since I was nine and half years old since the best schools are in Kathmandu, which is 12 hours away from my hometown in Nepal. Overall, the weekend trip was refreshing and my throat already feels better after the whiskey shot and a bowl of morning glory soup with garlic.

No comments:

Post a Comment