Thursday, July 14, 2011

Monica! O My Darling!

It was a Saturday evening and I was sitting on my bed playing with the Internet, chatting with some friends online when I got a call from a friend in BKK. At first I did not recognize her voice because I was in a lazy holiday mood until she told me her name. The idea was to go to a gay bar in Silom, which is the area where I once accidently landed in Pat Pong (Ping Pong show and red light area).

Although the idea of giving up chatting my friends from overseas, did not appeal to me, even my friend on Skype suggested that I went. So I decided to go. It was 10 PM and would take me at least half an hour to get there, meaning I had half an hour to get ready. When I reached Silom, I was glad to find another friend right when I got off the taxi because I did not want to be walking alone in that area. We waited for our third companion for the night for a few minutes and went to DJ Station bar. Once we got in, I noticed that the bar was filled with gay people of whom more than 90% were males. There were only couple straight couples. There was a stage at the center of the bar and we found out that they would have a performance in few minutes. At this point, I was excited because I had never seen any of those gay/lady boy shows before.

The bar was overcrowded but thankfully they had 3 floors. We decided to explore the top floor but were disgusted by the piss and vomit smells as they had restrooms on that floor. So we decided to get down to the second floor, which had plenty of space to stand and you could see the stage as well. So I decided to stay there and wait for the show to happen. There were about 5 kinds of shows, couple of which were in Thai, couple in English and one in Hindi. Most performers were nicely dressed lady boys with glittery clothes and big breasts. One thing that kept bothering me was why would the performers in a gay bar have big breasts? I

During one of the singing shows, the performer forgot his/her line and the tape kept playing, HAHA. It was hilarious!!! My favorite was the Bollywood one. When the famous classic Hindi song, Monica O My Darling, started playing, the performer was turning her back to the audience and had a shawl held up in the air, which covered upper half of his/her body. The audience was shocked when she/he turned around. She/he was huge in size with a long skirt, transparent stretchable quarter sleeved green blouse with big and perfectly round breasts peeking out of them as she/he was not wearing any bra and a big belly poking out from his/her body. She/he had an awful make up with black strikes on her/his face and a big flower in her/his hair. Out of all the performers, this one certainly got the most amount of money from the audience.

After the performance, we got down to join the dance floor but there was no space to even stand, let alone dance. So I suggested that we take the stage as it was empty. Couple of us had to pull our third friend who was too shy to join us at the stage. She was relieved when others decided to join the stage as well, which made the stage overcrowded soon. Some guys even started stripping so we came back down. It had been a long time since I had been in such overcrowded place with such loud music so I decided to leave by 1 AM and so did my friends.

I found this quote in the book that I am recently reading, “everything that can be tested should be tested.” Although I do not completely agree with it, it was good to see something new at a new place.

No comments:

Post a Comment