Monday, June 27, 2011

My Dream of Becoming a Bartender!

After a week of work days, Friday was finally here. After work, we all sang Rebecca Black’s “Its Friday, Friday, Friday” song. Although we hate the song, we love Fridays. As usual we took a walk to Khaosang road, searching for an interesting place to get dinner. We found The Green House restaurant which had tables set up outside, perfect for the cool weather on a Friday evening. I ordered stir fried chicken with cashew nuts and white rice, my most recent favorite dish. One of my friends ordered fried noodles with vegetables and no egg. She has to make sure to remind the waiters of "the no egg part" at least thrice since egg is considered vegetarian here in BKK. Another friend of mine ordered fried noodles with beef and basil. Along with the good food, it was great to have live music playing.

It started raining soon and we rushed inside the restaurant and grabbed the nearest table available. Although the rain stopped within couple minutes, the tables outside were wet, so we chose to stay inside. It was strange for the singer to be facing the empty wet tables outside so he changed his position to face the customers inside. Since the gap between the two pillars of his space was small, it so happened that I was the only customer that was sitting right across him. As much as I enjoyed his song, it was a bit awkward to be sitting right across from him. My friends even teased me, which only became worse since the singer smiled and thanked me when we left the restaurant.

After a few minutes of walk, we came across Lucky Beer bar that said, “we make very strong cocktails, no ID required.” My friends happened to be in the mood of drinking so we went there. The waiter at the bar looked Nepali so I asked him where he was from and he replied India. I insisted that he could not be from India and found out that he was Nepali/Burmese. My friends ordered cocktails but I had stomach cramps so I decided to spare myself. However, I promised them that for every glass they drank, I would act as the drunken one. I was staring at the woman bartender when I remembered one of those MBTI things that I did in college. It is a way of finding out the best suited jobs for oneself and my best suited job had come out to be a bartender or a barber. Being a barber would certainly need more training than a bartender so I decided to get things right at this Lucky Beer bar. The idea of bartending in BKK by itself sounded so cool. Since no one would pay an inexperienced bar tender, I asked the manager if I could do part time volunteer work for an hour, thrice a week. She did not know what volunteer meant so I had to get one of those Nepali waiters and ask them to communicate for me. To my disappointment, she refused my offer and said that she will think about it for couple days.My dreams of becoming a bartender was shattered. On a more positive note, I was spared of unpaid labor.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. would you like to volunteer at the small bar at my house ? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why don't u use your some spare time to get some bartender training? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I guess it takes time for the dreams to manifest.

      Delete